The start of the stately building on the Amstel River, now The Hermitage Amsterdam, began in 1683 with the design by city architect Hans Jansz. Van Petersom. A 102-meter facade formed the “Diaconie Oude Vrouwen Huys,” a home for “old berries”. Today, behind the same facade, The Hermitage Amsterdam displays inspiring, changing exhibitions with international allure. The character of the building rich in history and special stories is reflected in the art collections on display.
Amstel in front of Hermitage Amsterdam
The Hermitage Amsterdam is proud of its own two varieties of tulips. Since the tulip was introduced to the Netherlands in 1594, tulips have been an inseparable part of celebrating spring. Along the classicist facade, the ‘Hermitage’ tulip in large bowls forms a beautiful spring glow along the Amstel River. With its full red color and orange top, spring is celebrated here with a Dutch edge.
The second type of tulip is in the museum’s indoor garden: an oasis of tranquility and spring flowers. Here the tulips the “Dutch Masters” are at the center of the row of tubs with different-colored flowers. Just as Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669) works form the centerpieces of the 17th-century painters in the current Rembrandt and His Contemporaries exhibition. The Dutch Master, a yellow with purple serrated edge colored tulip, is surrounded by the symmetrical red with soft yellow flamed ‘Spryng Break,’ the ‘Spryng Tide’ with long petals and a deep reddish-pink color and the yellow-pink flamed ‘Spryng Sunrise.’ With crocuses and daffodils growing and blooming among the old trees, the old courtyard is a true ode to spring.
Daily opened from 10:00 AM – 17.00 PM